Sunday, March 29, 2009

Three cheers for Rugby!

Hip hip hooray!

Our first match went off as flawlessly as one could have hoped. We weren't able to line the fields Thursday night because of the rain so all of the set up had to be done between when the baseball team ended at 5 and kick off at 6. Matt Arling and a couple of the HS boys came out and helped Val, Dale and myself set up. There were a few hitches in set up including confusion over which was dashed the 10 or 22mtr line and the fact that a vandal had spray painted the N word on one of our goal post pads. Matt Thorn pointed out the N word and I burst into a crying mess, thankfull Thorn got me back on track and in coaching mode. I was an over whelmed wreck but thanks to all the friends and parents who came out we had one of the nicer pitches the Maniacs have played on by the time kick off came around!

We got our rears kicked on the scoreboard but I still consider the game a success. The girls looked good on the field. They seemed comfortable and no one wandered around too lost. Our line outs looked amazing and Val's silent call that I was against the whole time worked pretty well. We won most of our line outs and even won a few of theirs! Our scrums looked good and our backline including kicking worked pretty well! Overall I'm happy, my goal for the game was to force Fox Chapel to use their pack, to keep the ball away from the backs and prevent any break aways. We did just that. Their pack was just that much more experienced than ours to where, though their play looked just as messy as ours, they could capitalize on our mistakes where we could not take advantage of theirs.


Here's one of our scrums. I think it looks pretty good and as you can see we won it...so yup!



Team photo via mi papa. I didn't have a chance to get my camera out....maybe next match?

The social afterwards went well though it wasn't so much of a social as a mass feeding. We had entirely too much food (which was the exact opposite of my fears) including amazing pizza, more fruit than Krogers, and blue dinosaur cookies courtesy of my mom!

I'm super excited and looking forward to our next match. Sunday at Home vs the Maryland Exiles. Time TBA.

No comments: